Let’s hear it for Book Clubs! I love that several of my sisters are members of a book club. I love hearing about the books that they are reading. And kudos to my own book club because I’m finally reading a book that I blogged about last fall and was going to read but never did. It’s not that I was lazy or never got around to it, I have legitimate reasons – really.
The book is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and I heard about it on NPR last fall and totally fell for it. It’s in my nature to be drawn to a word like “project” and of course I want happiness. It’s not like I’m sad or depressed or unhappy but hey if someone has found a way to be MORE happy, I’m in.
After hearing about it on the radio I went to the author’s blog to check it out and changed my mind about reading it. First reason, it turns out that her book was compared to the book The Year of Living Biblically, and I hated that book. I won’t go into the reasons why here but anything that is compared to that book loses credibility in my mind. Second reason, her Happiness Toolbox included such resources as making resolutions, personal commandments, lists, secrets of adulthood and a one-sentence journal. Oh boy, that sounded like a lot more work that what I wanted to do just to be happy. Third reason, her method of approaching happiness is so systematic – she researched all kinds of sources, and came up with 12 monthly themes of ideas she felt would bring her happiness. Then she chose a subset of goals to go with each theme and then she designed check-off charts of detailed to-do’s that would help her accomplish her goals. Why did all of this bother me? I felt like I was reading my own mind. I am totally a goal making/checklisting/gold star kind of a person. But it’s actually something I’ve been trying to change about myself. Honestly checklists can get tedious, I know, I have one in front of me almost all the time. I decided some time ago that I wanted happiness that is inside of me whether anything gets checked off my list or not.
So, I didn’t buy her book until now, but I do think about happiness for myself and others. I think happiness is a choice and I know there is a plan of happiness that when followed will bring us the truest happiness of all. That plan comes from God and any plan designed by us mere mortals will always fall short of bringing the surest happiness.
So after browsing her blog, I decided I didn’t need her method to bring me happiness. Instead, I started jotting down on my blog things that make me happy. This list is simple but true. I could write something every day but it’s fun to just add something now and again.
Thanks to book club, I’m reading her book now and I’m enjoying it and yes learning or thinking about a number things…..I’ll keep you posted.
Here is my short list of things that make me happy. This list is subject to be added to.
Exercise
Contentment
My husbands attention
Friends
Learning and growth
Being outside
Feeling like I make a difference in someone else’s life
Being a mother
Taking care of myself
No comments:
Post a Comment